<VV> Disassembling the front suspension (Help)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Aug 1 19:55:38 EDT 2006

I assume this is a late suspension from the camber adjusting ellyptical
washer on the lower control arm.

Jason Morris wrote:

>I'm currently working on prepping my front suspension for paint and new
>bushings.  I'm having trouble with a few things.  Forgive the quality of the
>pictures, they were taken with my camera phone.
>
>1.  http://alamocitycorvair.org/Temp/bolt.jpg  I'm having trouble removing
>the bolts holding the lower control arm in.  I've removed the nuts but the
>bolt seems to be rusted in there.  I briefly tried pressing them out but
>started to bend the mount (scratch that idea).  Is a torch my next option?

Not yet! First soak the bolt with your favorite penetrant, say Kroil,
Seafoam, etc. Turn the bolt a full 360 degrees many many times, this
will help free up the rust. Put the nut back on withsome free space for
the bolt to move and then whack it while turning the bolt. If you break
out the torch, it will be a smoky time as the rubber bushing will burn!

>2. http://alamocitycorvair.org/Temp/Idle.jpg  I've beat the crap out of this
>idler arms with a pickle fork but can't get them to budge.  I have a puller
>but the hooks don't have anything to grip to on the other side.  Do I just
>keep hammering?

When the taper seated sperical joints are so nicely out of the car it is
much simpler to use the two hammer metod than the pickle fork method.
Get two heavy hammers, or one heavy hammer and an anvil... Say 32 oz or
better. An 8 lb sledge with the handle cut short can also be used as the
backup hammer. The idea is to strike the taper joint with both hammers
at the same time like (sad to say it this way, but the analogy is good)
popping a zit. This is in the Corvair shop manual BTW.

>3.  Upper control arm bushings and shaft.  I have access to a press but I'm
>not sure if I want to do it myself and chance bending the arms.  Is it best
>to have these professionally done?

It is difficult to press them out/in with out some distortion without
using jigs, so maybe the answer is yes, especially with corrosion issues.

>4.  The front brake drums are not coming off.  Is there a special tool I can
>use to remove these or do I keep prying with screw driver and a BFH.

You removed the cotter pin and stub axle retaining nut and uit still
won't come off? Oh, being a late model the drum should just come off
without removing the pin/nut/hub assembly, so...  Back off on the brake
adjuster in case the shoes are holding the drum on. Be careful about the
tempatation of using  a BFH on drums. Sometimes you can hit correctly,
most times you get broken cast iron pieces! Soak around where the axle
stub fits the drum (hub on front axles), and use heat on drum (always
heat part you want to expand, not the inner part). Sometimes rust along
here will capture drum. Sometimes BFH and screwdriver (narrow cold
chisel) through the small holes in drum face is the last resort. If you
bend the drum face lightly you can hammer and dolly it flat, maybe. If
badly distorted, you needed another drum anyway at that point.

Frank DuVal