<VV> Downtown location - upbeat

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Aug 1 12:22:33 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/1/2006 7:09:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
markii56 at yahoo.com writes:

As for  future conventions, I doubt you'll ever see one
in a downtown location  again- just MHO.

Jeff Clark

I'm not sure. In some ways it depends on the downtown. My wife, Barbara and
I liked the downtown location (Of course, I wasn't towing). We found plenty of
 places to eat, close by - within walking - and further out - and we walked
all  over. The important thing for Corsa to generate interest in a Convention -
at  least among families-even families of two (hint, hint) is to have it in a
 "destination" location. Snicker if you will about Buffalo being one, but I
had  never visited Niagara Falls or, of course, the Tonawanda plant. Barbara
tolerated the plant, but we both enjoyed the Falls tours. As a matter of fact,
we enjoyed every tour, and we took almost all of them. We always found
someone  to talk with and enjoy the trip. Driving to other locations in town was a
challenge for Barb - and she enjoyed it. A car with free gas (to her, anyway)
and a chance to shop?  Although we both grew up in California, the  traveling
Corvair show has taken us to such diverse locations as Daytona Beach,  Grand
Rapids, Denver, Flagstaff, Asheville, Lake Placid, Williamsburg, Kansas  City,
Syracuse, Tahoe and Portland - (apologies for those I haven't mentioned).
Buffalo was my 27th straight. The Corsa Conventions were my daughters  vacations
(mostly) as they grew up. How many people know where they are going on
vacation 2 years out? As for Detroit 2007 - or more correctly Sterling Heights?
I'll be there, still explaining that I didn't bring a car and promising that I
will bring one to LA in 2008. For me, the convention is about people. I
really have thousands of friends in Corsa, some I see only once a year. Most of
them happen to own a Corvair - or two. - Seth Emerson