<VV> Buffalo Convention Report

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Aug 1 22:17:56 EDT 2006

At 12:52 hours 08/01/2006, kaczmarek at charter.net wrote:
>Bryan reports:

> > will tell you right now it won't be on site (I'm not aware of such a
> > hotel in the $100/night or less price range in Northern Virginia), so
> > I'll ask outright - should I simply forget about having one at all?
> > --
>
>Bryan, you're correct. You probably WON'T find anything in Northern
>VA at that price, maybe one in the Winter.

Not anything of any substance within screaming distance of the
Beltway, that's for sure.

However, I'm not so sure it would be that good an idea to even try to
have anything in that traffic kludge even if rooms were cheap.

>You're battling 2 factors that will not change.
>1. the proximity of Northern VA to the National Capitol.
>2. the inbred, well call it what it is, cheapness of the Corvair owner.

The "cheap Corvair owner" notwithstanding, being close to the Capital
is a bad idea economically.

>My advice is if N.VA wants to host a vair fair, they should look
>west down I  66, away from the beltway to find something reasonable.

Absolutely.   And I know from experience that you don't have to go
far to find a motel with enough rooms at a workable price, with space
to work from.   Things tend to "spread out" rather nicely once you
get away from the beltway.  Only 30 minutes down the road south on 66
will make a difference.    And, it still wouldn't be so far from DC
that a tour couldn't exploit the sights with minimal hassle.

Northern VA is kinda nice, not terribly cluttered unless you get too
close to Ground Zero.     Manassas wasn't a bad show, kinda liked it
myself, had a good time.   Plenty of vendors, nice cars, and somebody
ordered up a bunch of pizzas... ;)

...just mumbling to myself...

tony..   missed Buffalo