<VV> Re: [fastvair] Buffalo Convention Report

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Aug 1 15:52:27 EDT 2006

Bryan reports:

> will tell you right now it won't be on site (I'm not aware of such a
> hotel in the $100/night or less price range in Northern Virginia), so
> I'll ask outright - should I simply forget about having one at all?
> --

Bryan, you're correct. You probably WON'T find anything in Northern VA at that price, maybe one in the Winter. Won't be much help then, unless we can flood it and JR can come and teach us to ice race.

You're battling 2 factors that will not change.
1. the proximity of Northern VA to the National Capitol.
2. the inbred, well call it what it is, cheapness of the Corvair owner.

My experience in Northern VA hotels--which is somewhat extensive, is that if you're paying a buck twenty a night, you have one hell of a nice place to lay your head.  I know that doesn't mean much to the average Corvair person, I can sleep at the "sleep cheap".  But this issue is common to other locales as well.

Ever wonder why there's no Convention in New Orleans?   the NOCE tried to bid a few times, Last I believe was 1994 at Wmsbg, but they got a thunbs down because then, as in the 80's , and is today, there just aren't any rooms in New Orleans under 100.00/night.  And the "frugalese" aren't going to plop that down, even if it was the Ritz-Carlton, they'd be buckin' it.

My advice is if N.VA wants to host a vair fair, they should look west down I  66, away from the beltway to find something reasonable.

FWIW

Hank