<VV> Convention Autocross Distance

sarahvair at juno.com sarahvair at juno.com
Tue Aug 1 15:50:01 EDT 2006

As most you know already, Jacksonville, Florida will host the 2009 convention.  The Concours, Car Display and the starting points for the Econo & Rally will be at the host hotel, which is the Wyndham.
For those of you concerned with a "city" location, we will not be in downtown proper of Jacksonville.  We will be on the southside, in the San Marco area.  The hotel sits on 4 acres and has over 1400 parking spaces.  Plenty of room for trailers, plus we have a building next door where we can park additional.
As for the autocross, we really wanted to use a course that the Southeast Corvair Council as well as Central Florida Corvairs uses for events.  It is a training facility for fire, police, sheriffs, etc.  It has long straights, an infield road course as well as a skid pad.  Our concern was the distance form the hotel.  Mileage wise it is 33 miles, with all but 6 or so straight highway.  The Board overwhelmingly stated we would rather drive 30 - 45 minutes for a great location then 5 minutes to a crappy parking lot.
Sarah
Regarding the distance to the autocross :
   There were no incidents at the autocross and we didn't have to crawl around
in first gear and make lock to lock turns as in a hotel parking lot event. We
got to brag about running on two ovals.
   I can recall hotel lots where cars hit light posts because CORSA members
would not move their parked cars.
  A lot of autocrossers trailed their cars great distances as I did to Portland
(2500miles) . We had autocross cars this year from Alaska and California. Up to
a  one hour drive to a great sight is a MINOR inconvenience in comparison. I
would say that a drive to the autocross site was less trouble (especially if not
trailering) than a walk to the car show.

Warren