<VV> Buffalo Convention Report

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Aug 1 20:49:27 EDT 2006

Mini Meet East (the big east coast Mini Cooper Meet)
http://www.mme2006.com/ was at the Holiday Inn convention center at the
Francis Scott Key Mall in Frederick, MD (about 30 miles north of the DC
beltway, 40 miles out of downtown DC).  Really nice being within walking
distance of the mall (and misc food) and the autocross was at the
Frederick Keys Baseball stadium, about 1 mile up the road. (In fact both
the local autocross club AND the Mini meet were running simultaneous
autocrosses in adjacent lots).

Not a lot of trailered cars, but a lot of trailer parking at the hotel
and overflow (though unguarded) at the mall.

But I don't think they got $99 rooms... seems it was more like $135..BUT
several ~$100 hotels within two miles (including a sister Holiday Inn
Express).

I think a full Convention would be way oversized for the facilities
(Corvairs are a bit larger than Minis!), but it would definitely handle
a regional show.

Logistics would be difficult for the NoVa club, but the registrar for
MME lived in Virginia Beach with only a couple of folks actually local
to Frederick...

There are some sites in the DC area, but as others have mentioned they
get a lot more reasonable about 40 miles out....

Bill Elliott