<VV> Convention Information + Freedom

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Wed Aug 2 19:51:14 EDT 2006

    And this situation cannot be understated. I know of some very
first-class, competent clubs (I'll bet the 4 clubs fit in here) who got
totally screwed by thier hotel. So-called "contracts" were signed, big
promised made, and as it got closer to the event (too close for anyone
to cancel and go anywhere else) various rugs start getting pulled out
from under the host club. When we did the National last year our mantra
was "assume nothing, even if it's in writing. Check, double check, re
check" Even then we ended up with a few last minute problems with the
boat people (First time they had ever been out on the Columbia, for one
thing).
     When I say that the "hospitality" industry is mis-named, it comes
from being involved with a great many Nationals, regionals etc. Time and
time again I see the same unacceptable tactics pulled by hotels, tour
companies etc to where I have to begin to assume that these are "normal"
ways of doing business. It's unfortunate, but a club that is sceptical
and doesn't bet thier life on signed contracts is at an advantage.
      It's not  human nature to assume the worst of people, especially
where good faith negotiations and written contracts are concerned, but I
seen WAY too much of it. Lon