<VV> Re: Da Convention, the Lone Haranguers take. LONG!

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet at charter.net
Thu Aug 3 20:34:31 EDT 2006

Damn!
Where do I begin?

After doing the Yenko reunion (See other report) we trailered to Greater
Downtown Buffalo.
I did as suggested and called Jeff Clark as soon as we got off the toll road
for trailer parking directions.

(I HATE TOLL ROADS!)

We found the host hotel with no problems and after checking in and unloading
our luggage Jeff showed up and escorted me and my rig to the "trailer
prison" several blocks away. (Daytona was worse!) I backed down the long
path and dropped the trailer with the car on it. It was way too much hassle
to unload the car and leave it at the hotel as it's a track car, not street
legal and loud.

As for the hotel, we had no real bad experiences but we had to corner a maid
to get more coffee. All the room equipment worked including the crappy TV
channels and from the sixth floor we had a lovely view of the I-190 elevated
with accompaning constant traffic noise. Also the adjacent roof had some
interesting tar and gravel patterns to break up the otherwise rectangular
parapets.
The elevators that worked were s..l..o..w and in need of replacing.
I think the architect that designed the layout was close kin to the Masques
DeSade! We finally figured out how to navigate this maze.
I parked my truck in the lower catacombs parking garage. They really need to
change THE light bulb as it was dark as a tomb in there. I had to turn on my
headlights to see, but no foreign material fell from above. It beat the hell
out of the four wheel drive dirt obstacle course under the freeway! Every
time I passed there I felt like I was missing a jug of cheap wine in a brown
paper bag!
I think the name, Adams Mark was a mark alright! It was a cover up for 666!

I had paid for the car show but opted to not participate as it was again too
much of a hassle to get the trailer and haul it over to the park.
I did get a ride over to the show with Russ and Debbie Brandenburg and
helped out with the V8 Vairs. The locale was very nice and a good breeze was
coming off the lake so it was not too hot.
It felt odd to not have a car in the show as I usually have my V8 Vair in
the concours. I guess I'll drop out of senior status but no big deal. I'm
havin fun with the Sunoco clone car.

I did haul out to the autocross at the Lancaster racetrack with no real
problems.
I had not autocrossed in over 30 years and the last convention I autocrossed
at was the second one in Washington DC at the Montgomery Mall lot. Check out
the March 1973, Vol. 4 No.3 issue of the old corsa communiques. The top
photo on the cover is me in my 65 coupe which I drove to the convention.

The layout was very good and I ran it in second gear. I tried using other
gears but second worked best. I don't know if I hit any cones or even what
kind of times I ran. I didn't care as I was having FUN!
At least Smitty thought I looked good...for an old bald guy! Lots of people
liked the Sunoco car.
Also I now share the the highly coveted position with all those other car
owners who have had the honor of "Seth The Borrower" co-drive their car!
I really thought he would have perloined a ride with one of the faster hot
shoe machines but when I asked him to help me pit he said it would come with
a price. ( He was desperate!) I knew exactly what he mean't and readily
agreed.
Of course he beat the pants off me as well he should and his rep is still
intact as not having ever broken a borrowed car.
As for my car I am really pleased with it's performance. Considering the
week long thrash to get it ready enough for the Yenko bash at Nelson Ledges
where I flogged it for all it was worth and then three runs each by me and
then Seth at the autocross where I told him not to baby it but "mash on it"
and it ran flawlessly. This on a motor with less than 20 minutes total time
(cam break in) and running only the primary carbs on 140 heads with the
initial timing set at 16 degrees. Also the alternator was not hooked up and
we ran totally on a dry cell racing battery with a single charge on it! I
learned that with solid motor mounts everything vibrates loose. Several carb
linkage screws and a secondary block off plate bolt were missing and the
distributor cap was way loose!

As for the once gret city of Buffalo...well..it's down at the heels but the
old buildings are truly works of art. We walked around a lot and had several
nice meals at local venues.
I do not like big cities and Buffalo did nothing to change that. I still
dislike them!
However, the people of Buffalo were great! Very friendly and helpful. One
stranger even gave us an impromptu tour of the Guaranty building.
The best thing about Buffalo was seeing it in my rear view mirrior as we
left Sunday morning.
But worse was to come as 60 miles out on the thru way the ol' Dodge Ram
puked the previously rebuilt tranny causing the "spraying for mosquitos"
effect behind the truck. After pulling over and putting out the small fire I
saw the large puddle of fluid and I know enough about automagic trannies
that when the fluid is dark brown and stinks it's fried.
We called for emergency road service and it arrived after an hour and a half
wait because the dispatcher got the mile marker wrong.
We got towed to the local Dodge dealer in Westfield, NY and to our good luck
there was someone there who called the service manager and got us a loaner
car. Try that in a big city!
Monday morning the dealer said he could have a rebuilt tranny delivered and
installed by Wednesday afternoon. They had it done by Tuesday afternoon and
after another nights stay in the 50's vintage motel we hit the road and
arrived home by noon Wednesday without any further trouble but about three
grand lighter in the wallet!
The people at the dealership, DeHaven's Dodge City and everyone we met as
captive tourists in Westfield and surrounding area were great! It's
beautiful grape growing rolling hills country and small town hospitality
turned our misfortune into an adventure.
Oh, did I mention the folks at the dealership liked the Sunoco Corvair?

Last but not least I have to say to the folks of the Four Clubs thanks for a
great effort. Under the circumstances you guys did a bang up job.
I especially want to thank Jeff Clark the trailer prison warden. I could not
have done his job without massive quanities of controlled substances or a
belt fed automatic weapon. How he kept from killing anyone is a miracle! It
must be drugs! No wait, I know. His real job is a car salesman!

The Lone Haranguer
aka Rick Norris