<VV> Re: Gas Pump Tales

Garth Stapon corvair2 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 21:09:01 EDT 2006

Today I stopped to buy 10% ethanol enhanced premium fuel at my local Connecticut gas station. Thank goodness I have .052 jets as it accounts for the leaning effect of the alcohol.

I pull up to my local pump to buy 93 octane at a price that will not be mentioned as it might start another one of those painful - I pay less for fuel posts.

A gent my age - (mid 40's) approached me to tell me how much he liked my 65 hard top sedan. He began to tell me how his Uncle had one of every Vair model made. I asked if he was a member of Corsa (always marketing) and he said that he had passed.

He went on to say that he had an 82 Toyota Supra in his garage with 90,000 miles and no rust. This is a unique thing for a New England car. Those that are familiar with this car know that it is a landmark automobile. He said it was in perfect condition and that he was selling it for $ 5 K.

This is where it gets interesting. I told him that although I love that car (I lusted after one when they were new) I had my eye on a 64 coupe for less money. I advised him that my wife would kill me if I brought home another car and he agreed that he felt the Corvair was a much neater car.

He reflected on how he used to help his Uncle adjust the valves while the engine was running. We spoke about synthetic oil and I referenced our club and how one member in Phoenix indicated that it helped him drop his oil temp by 30 degrees under load. I told him that he owned a landmark automobile and that he should keep it.

He asked me what oil I ran in the Vair and I told him Mobil 1 0W40.

I picked up my son from rowing and people were honking and generally admiring my car. It was just put back on the road and I am ashamed to admit that I installed the valve cover upside down so that oil was leaking out of what looked like an air breathing hole. I turned the valve cover over, increased up the idle and it is now running like a top. I just put new tires on the front and plan to change the transmission fluid, differential fluid and lube the front wheel bearings.

It does have some dirt on the bench seat which I tried to remove with soap and water. I am open to suggestions on a recommended vinyl cleaner.

I bought a new air tube from an unnamed vendor that runs to from the shroud to the heater box and am having a heck of a time reaching up from the bottom of the car to remove the old tube and replace it with a new tube. There must be an easier way. I think it might be helpful to have a defrost function on occasions when it rains like it did today. It was a good thing that I had a clean rag in the car so that I could remove the fog off of the windshield.

Despite that, the car is running like a top. It has less than 37,000 miles and I love to drive it. Many, many heads were turned and the guy at the pump mentioned how wrong Mr. Nadar was about this car.

(I wonder how Sedman knock sensor and a Binney turbo system would work?)

Dave are you listening????

Sorry for rambling, but in case you have forgotten...

LATE POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE

Regards, Garth