<VV> valve adjustment

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Aug 4 10:54:08 EDT 2006

---- J R Read_HML <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> The factory did it "cold" - which just means the engine is not running.  It
> SHOULD be run in advance to be sure the lifters are fully pumped up.

JR--I don't know if the geezers who worked the Corvair line told you, but that is right to an extent.  The valves were set up with COLD adjustment on Assembly.

 The reason for running the engines on the stands on propane (you HAD to see that to believe it,
with no exhaust manifolds, I saw it when I was nine years old and thought it was way cool) was to HOT adjust the Corvair Valves, only if they needed it though.

I think (and this ought to start something) is that the engineers didn't feel that the stock lifter was a good design, and wanted, as you mentioned to be sure the lifters pumped up before the engine left the plant.

Other engines made at Tonawanda in those days were never test run. They did have an oil filter installed but no oil put in them.

Hank