<VV> valve adjustment

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Aug 4 17:41:55 EDT 2006

At 07:54 hours 08/04/2006, kaczmarek at charter.net wrote:
>---- J R Read_HML <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > The factory did it "cold" - which just means the engine is not
> running.  It
> > SHOULD be run in advance to be sure the lifters are fully pumped up.
>
>JR--I don't know if the geezers who worked the Corvair line told
>you, but that is right to an extent.  The valves were set up with
>COLD adjustment on Assembly.
>
>  The reason for running the engines on the stands on propane (you
> HAD to see that to believe it,
>with no exhaust manifolds, I saw it when I was nine years old and
>thought it was way cool) was to HOT adjust the Corvair Valves, only
>if they needed it though.

Ditto with v8 engines, which were not only initially fired on propane
and fed oil through a clamped  fitting that coupled to the oil
pickup, their valves were adjusted running, and the cranks
"finish-balanced" that way as well (if necessary), with vibration
sensors hung on the engine and strobes flashing on the heavy spots on
the crank, which was then assaulted with hand-wielded machinery to
remove material from the counter weights until the engine ran without
vibration.   I saw photos of the line where this was done along with
descriptions of how it was done, no valve covers, no oil pans, with
guys who were *very* good at their job, covered in oil doing the work.

I thought it was amazing.

tony..