<VV> Anyone running Clark's Hi-Tech Hypereutectic Pistons?

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 4 20:18:10 EDT 2006

Okay, after going around and around on the gap clearance I called Clark's
and I talked to someone else.  John at Clark's verified that .010-.030 end
gap for the top two compression rings was adequate.  He said to aim for
.012-.015 for the top ring.  He said that actually they recommend following
the .010-.030 tolerance for all the pistons they sell whether they are
Hypereutectic, eutectic, regular cast or forged.

I called a guy at Hi-Tech Inc whose website I got from Bryan Blackwell.
Apparently, they are not the same Hi-Tech who make pistons for Clark's but
he was nice enough to verify a few things.  He said that on their
Hypereutectic pistons, they recommend an upper ring gap of .010-.020.  I
told him how I got started on this whole paranoia about ring gaps on Hyper
pistons by visiting KB piston's site.  He said that he was aware of KB
pistons requirements for such large ring gaps on their Hyper pistons and it
was due to the way they were made and not universal for all Hyper pistons.

Anyway, I feel relieved now.  I set the ring gaps at .015 today and the
pistons are now in the cylinders.  The engine for our UltraVan is coming
along, little by little.  If I could just get the heads back from Ray
Sedman, I could push and get it finished.

Thanks for everyone's input,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!