<VV> Normal wear - Engine RW Heads 3880708

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Aug 5 18:09:27 EDT 2006

Darren,
Please see below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 8/5/2006 2:12:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
darrenvvagazio at yahoo.com writes:

The  A.I.R. information in the service manual (Section 6T-1, Fig. 1) shows
two  mixture control valves on the airfilter housing, connected to the  heads
via vacuum hose, directly opposite  of where the balance tube hookup  would be.
My heads only have the balance tube ports pointed towards the  flywheel
(Front?) as it would be in a normal vehicle. If the heads only have  one vacuum
port, would that mean they swapped sides to port towards the  front
Well, yours is a 1968 engine, and you should be looking at the 1968 shop
manual. The 1966-67 engines have a  different AIR setup. You are  looking at the
1966-67 setup.

As I have never seen an A.I.R. setup in person, I can only go  by the drawing
in the book.

But use the correct book, please

To  answer your other questions both carbs had those numbers on the base  and
 7028609 for the top covers

These are cover numbers and not carburetor numbers.

matching  049 jets and matching venturi trees. The also have idle mixture
screws. I just  rebuilt them.

I'm still curious about how these engines wear. 110psi on  one cylinder makes
me uncomfortable.

Yes, 110 psi is low and probably a source of trouble. The Corvair engines
will easily go 100K miles and some will do 200K. All cylinders wear about the
same. But some run hotter than others and that can affect valve life. But
there's no way of guessing why one cyl is low. You will have to run some tests
and probably remove the head to really find out why. It could be almost anything
 causing it. Might even be poor workmanship by a PO.
Regards,
Bob Helt