<VV> Car Display

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Aug 7 16:18:25 EDT 2006

Lord knows that I'm not a Concours guy... but since I think the primary
function of a club it to restore, protect, and preserve our marque I
think it's absolutely necessary and I fully support it as a formal
judged event.

Many other marques have done away with formal concours and I think the
shows (and the marques) are worse off for it... and the same concours
levels car tend to win any other version of show anyway.

I think that Corsa has it just right...two events, same time, (usually)
the same venue, your choice of being judged or not judged. While you
might argue about the "trailering points", I don't see any real weakness
with the concept.

If you think you have a driver quality car and you want formal judging,
sign up for the concours... you won't win, but you will know where your
car needs improvement. If you don't want to detail the underside of your
car (I try to keep mine smeared with oil and grease) then you don't
really want to be judged anyway, do you? (And you know that if a second
level of judging were set up, human nature would cause those at the
bottom end of the top level to "move down" and trophy in the lower level.)

Every time this comes up, we have to point out somebody who DOES have it
both. While he generally trailers to events (due to comfort, not due to
trying to protect the car) he takes his senior level concours car out
and flogs it on the track, runs all moving events with it, and yet takes
the time to prepare it for concours. (Yes, I'm talking about Chuck with
Darth Vair). While we all might not possess the drive that Chuck has to
have his cake and eat it too, we at least have him as an example of what
can be done with sufficient desire and effort...

My only suggestion might be that the People's Choice competition split
the classes into "stock" and "modified" (or "personalized" if you
prefer)... allowing a nice driver quality "stock" car a chance at a
trophy over a flashy highly custom job.  Those of you who know me would
be surprised to find out that at a British show this summer I scored
_two_ firsts in class in the "stock" category with two of my cars...
shocking me so badly I had to sell one (and replace it with a beater
project) lest I feel the urge to trailer it to the next event! ;-)

Bill Elliott