<VV> Great Discussion!

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Aug 7 17:21:48 EDT 2006

Now some of you know why I decided to hang around for a bit after the convention.

Those of you who know me know I'll never have a stock Corvair. But I DO belong to the Stock Group, beacuse I appreciate a Bone Stock Corvair.

Most also know I have no desire to race autocross. But those who do are a vital part of the club.

I also have no desire to do what Larry Shapiro did in 94--Trailered his CORSA to VA from CA, got there on the Sunday before the Convention, and spent the next 3 entire days prepping his car for Concours. He won Senior Division, and I also believe he got Best in Show as well.  I liked looking at his car, but no way in hell I spend 3 12 hour days cleaning a car.  I don't collect "Hardware"---some folks do it for the Trophy, and the ego boost. If that trips their trigger, so be it.

For those who haven't been around too long, the Car Display was a new thing about 7-8 years ago. Sarah had championed this before the Board, because it seemed like fewer cars were attending the Nationals.

I read intently  all opinions. Good points made. I see several issues raised that BoD members in the group might want to make note of.

1.More people trailering their Vair to the Convention.
a. Because they want to display/race/rally/econorun their car, but they have spouse/kids that might not enjoy a 10-12 or more hour drive in that car.
b.Concours Trailer Queens--they'll be with us always, like a Sailor expects bad weather.
c.Non-Street Legal race cars--this appears to be a growing segment.

This is something that needs to be factored in by Convention host chapters--like they don't have enough to deal with as it is.

Motor Homes--My opinion only---If you have 45-100,000.00 to spend on a motor home, and you can't bear to give 30 dollars a night for a campground space or in an RV park---LEAVE IT HOME AND STAY IN THE HOTEL.  This always cracks me up.

Someone who pays all this money for a motor home won't spend 30 bucks, after he just spent 300 putting fuel in the thing.
One of my very wealthy Corvair Friends says he won't buy one--too much money and too much upkeep. Why not just get a nice Hotel room, he says!

CORSA needs to set up a policy on Motor Homes at Conventions. Ultra's are Corvair, but if you're going to live in the thing on the hotel property---that's cheesy, and some hotels don't allow it.

I'd also like to see Show Queen (not concours) cars not allowed in the Car Display.

I was at the 1st All Chevy Show on the front Lawn of the Tonawanda Plant in 1988.  There were about 15 Corvairs there, mostly Niagara Frontier folks.  There was  a 69 there, a puke green 2dr HT, and they had to push it off and back into an enclosed trailer.  When I asked why they didn't start it up and drive it off and on, the guy (I think he was from Rochester) said

"I'ts only got 1500 miles on it, and if I start it up it will puke oil everywhere."

 He hadn't even changed out the old neoprene pushrod tube seals.  This car would NOT run around the block.  When I asked him what he was doing with the thing if he didn't want to drive it, he said "I collect Trophys".

Just my feeling, but if you can't drive it, what are you doing with it!

Just before I came to Buffalo, the Austin Bantam club had their National in Charlotte, and they wanted to come up for a tour.  We all parked our cars all over so the front lot (for employees) could hold the Bantams.

THEY ALL SHOWED UP IN PICKUP TRUCKS---Their cars are so un-roadworthy that NOBODY DROVE ONE THERE!!!! All were trailered.

Food for thought there.

Hank