<VV> Car Display

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 7 20:45:16 EDT 2006

 I've driven my car to a national, run in the autocross, rally etc, driven it in the rain at some of the events, driven it hundreds of miles to and from and still managed to score over 95 points and in one case a best in show at a judged Corvair national.

   With the current scoring system, a $100,000 Restoration (what an exagggggeration!!) can only score a gold award just as well as a $10,000 restoration can. Maybe the big buck trailed car may get best in show, but only ONE car will.

   Case in point... My ''69 convertible scored 93.22 at Buffalo and a silver award. This car was restored about by me about 15 years ago and is never trailered any where and had been on the dirt roads in New York and Vermont more than once.

   When my REAL show car was unable to make the 400+  mile trip to Buffalo, I took 2-3 days to clean the convertible including the undercarriage. I'll admit I did spend about 3 hours in the darkened garage removing the bugs and road dirt from the car.

   Many of the cars in the car display were definitely better than mine.

  What is the point?? It doesn't matter what  class you are in, don't even worry about it. Only those in the original or restored class really care about the class.  The awards are base on the presentation. The better the condition, the higher the score. I believe Corsa should eliminate all the classes except for those who wish to get their cars recognized as original. The Buffalo event was practically a self classified one.
Ron <ronh at owt.com> wrote:
  The unfortunate backlash is that there's no point of anyone entering the
concours any more if you want to place as there are maybe three cars
trailered to the meets, each of which has had over 100 grand or so invested
in their restoration. Competing against them out of anything more than
curosity is a waste of time and energy.
RonH

MIKE KOVACS