<VV> Concours Gold

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Tue Aug 8 02:34:17 EDT 2006

One thing the new system does is reduce the emotion around getting into the
Factory Stock classes. Remember, in the old system, what participants would
naturally try to do is get into the classes with fewer cars because that
increased their chances of getting a trophy. The Factory Stock classes
always have far fewer entries. That meant some pretty upset people when they
found that they didn't get classified as Factory Stock (Original or
Restored), especially those who were relatively new to Concours and didn't
yet understand just how hard it is to do.

With today's system, obtaining a Factory Stock designation is more of an
academic exercise, mainly for people (like me) who love the additional
challenge of being as original as possible. I think this is a good thing--it
de-politicizes all of it. And it makes the Stock Corvair Group a friendly
group, not a bunch of people with axes to grind.

I have spoken to more than one first-time Concours entrant (under the old
system) who, after being denied entry into a Factory Stock class, said,
"I'll never enter Concours again." That's a bad situation that the new
system helps avoid.

As a side note, I think it is a very healthy thing that CORSA's Concours is
for all Corvairs (and related vehicles). Because we classify cars separate
from judging, we are able to celebrate the diversity of how people enjoy
their Corvairs. Many other clubs heavily penalize non-stock cars, to the
point where it does not make sense for them to enter the Concours--and in
some cases, does not make sense for them to even be in the club. The
Corvette world has evolved this way: The NCRS is really only for the
equivalent of people with Factory Stock (Original or Restored) cars. There
is another Corvette club for people interested in modified cars. This sort
of approach would kill the Corvair hobby, mainly due to our much smaller
population.

You may be surprised at what I said in the last paragraph since having
Factory Stock cars judged next to modified cars, purely on a "condition and
cleanliness" basis, puts the Factory Stock cars at a disadvantage. (If you
want to know why this is so, email me.) Even so, I think it's the right
thing to do and people like Rich Thompson have shown that it is possible for
a Factory Stock car to win best of show.

--Kent

P.S. Another reason that I try to be as stock as possible with my blue car
was that is my way of honoring the many men and women who designed and built
my car originally.