Concours brass, was: <VV> Concours Gold

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Aug 8 15:19:21 EDT 2006

My opinion of the "gold, silver, bronze" award system is that it has
removed the meaning of how good a car really is from the concours. Just
what DOES it mean to "win a gold" award, when several other people in
that class might also "win gold"?? The idea of a COMPETITION is
competition - against a competitor, NOT an arbitrary point system. And
make no mistake about it, the defining line between gold, silver, and
bronze is exactly that, arbitrary. What about those who fall a hair
short of the next highest award? Or just barely make it? To have more
than one person "winning a gold" (or any other level award) in any one
class makes them comparatively meaningless. The awards are merely
determined by an arbitrary decision, and based on what? Somebody's best
guestimate?

The other thing the "gold, silver, bronze" award system does is make
classes meaningless, since "all cars 'compete' against a point system
and not against like cars in classes." So why even have classes in the
first place? Seems to me that we could eliminate some of the work of
putting on the concours, PLUS end any hard feelings about "just" missing
qualifying for the elusive "Factory Stock" class by >*< that much, if
only we eliminate classes altogether. The present system certainly makes
that the next logical step.

Further, the present system also means that there are few concours
entrants that DON'T get SOME kind of award. Seriously, people, humans
are by nature competitive. And in competitions, there are by definition
winners and losers. And deep down, EVERYbody KNOWS who "won" first
place, since scores are not only announced but later published in the
CC. So why have to hand out so many "feel good" awards to the "non"
first-place cars, just to appease egos? All it does is lengthen the
awards ceremony, and cost more overhead in extra trophies. All so we
don't dissapoint someone....

Seems to me that concours has strayed far afield from its original
intent, just to cater to people's fragile egos. Is this where we really
want to go? And for what long-term result? Something to think about.

-Mark