<VV> local parts stores

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Aug 8 11:14:55 EDT 2006

Our cars are more dissimilar to a standard Chevy than a 1950 Chevy is to
a 1970 Chevy... a great number of the older parts are more universal
than might appear at first blush. In reality, they have more in common
with trying find import parts (like for a 1965 Triumph TR4)..something
which we in the import world would never really go to a local parts
place for.

Second is that the commercial catalogs quite often lump the Corvair in
with other Chevys (how many times have you seen a listing for a Corvair
radiator cap), a problem not solved when things were computerized.  Very
often, the parts place will have a listing for a Corvair, but it's the
wrong part. More often, they won't have a listing for a particular part
at all.

One of the services our vendors provide us is that they have sorted this
all out. They may get some of their products from the same distributor
that Autozone does, but they will get you the right part the first
time... at possibly a slightly higher price.

Chevy got out of the Corvair parts business by design, not by accident.
It simply was no longer profitable for them to make and maintain Corvair
parts... which brings me to my last point...

The larger (and more philosophical) way to look at this is the
willingness of our vendors (who rank among the very best and least
expensive of any marque that I play with) to invest their profits into
reproduction and/or improved products for our cars... something Autozone
(or even Chevy themselves)  isn't willing to do. Without those profits
from "bread and butter parts" (which you indeed might be able to find
elsewhere for slightly less) then there are no specialty parts like we
rely on...

Bill