<VV> Re: Corvair-powered Westy Update

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Aug 9 13:07:57 EDT 2006

True... and what's more astounding is that they really have no
mechanical aptitude nor experience at all... nothing at all like you or
I doing the same trip...

On the flip side, you cannot underestimate the amount of engineering
that went into his vehicle to make it as reliable as possible for a trip
like this. The engine was carefully built by John Moody to maximize
reliability and cooling... an exceptional job he did... both on that and
the other modifications which have made this THE ultimate vehicle for
such a trip.

The only really major thing I did was to replace the PG (slow reverse
takeup and then the convertor seal let loose) and I did use a "known
good" used PG from Larry Claypool.

But this should show... these cars were meant to be used! If two
neophytes can do this in a carefully prepared vehicle, then any of us
should be able to do it even easier!

Thanks for the continued support and kudos to the girls!
Bill