<VV> Black Mold -- how to prevent it in the first place

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 9 19:27:19 EDT 2006

Arjay-

A few guys have had some good ideas on killing the existing mold.  I
think you should also think about changing some things so that it is
less likely to recur.

The reason that the black mold is growing at the *top* of the seat
backs (as you mention) is becuase that is where your "breathable" car
cover is contacting them.  At night, when the temperature outside
drops, you are having warmer, moist air from the daytime (warm air
holds more moisture) trapped under your cover.  As the air temperature
drops, the surface of the cover drops in temperature as well ... When
it falls below the dew point of the warm air under it, you have
condensation right on underside surface of the cover.  You wind up
with a moistened cover left in contact with the seat backs -- prime
conditions to have the mold grow right at the contact points.

A couple of ideas to prevent it:
1. Your breathable cover isn't breathable enough! If it's an
inside/outside breathable cover, switch it to a indoor-only
(completely non-water repellant) cover.
2. Consider putting the top up at night (with windows at least
cracked) rather than using the cover.  The top will not be in contact
with the seat tops and the windows cracked at the top will allow both
some escape of teh hot moist air from inside the car.
3. If you don't want to put the top up and it's reasonably proected,
consider leaving the cover off and top down. At least you aren't
trapping warm wet air under a cover. Bad news if neighborhood cats
decided to use your interior as a litterbox, though.
4.  If you really must use the cover (and have already gotten the most
breathable one possible), figure out some way to keep cover from being
in contact with the vinyl.  Moisture condenses on the cover, and it's
right in contact with the seat.  Even if there isn't a pile of liquid
water there when you remove it in the a.m., the cover is moist enough
right at the contact site for mold to grow.  It will keep recurring if
that isn't addressed.
5.  If the car's window's are up (with top down), will that keep the
cover off the vinyl?  Now if it's wet enough to have liquid water
condense  and dribble all over the inside somewhere, that's still no
good, but if it's just "molding" via a slightly damp cover, this may work.
6.  You can try leaving the kickpanel vents open, but this is pretty
small potatoes when you are having mold form this quickly.
7.  Don't leave the cover on the car all day and then go to bed
without "venting" it.  Again, having warmer air under the cover than
is outside at night is the problem.   By the way, your "well-vented
carport" is a big part of the problem. If it was a little less well
vented, the diurnal (daily) temperature swings would be more less and
you might not have the issue. For instance, if it was a closeable
garage, it wouldn't happen (assuming the roof doesn't leak!) because
the inside air temperature would stay MUCH more uniform. The carport
air drops in temperature rather rapidly which results in the car cover
surface dropping in temperature below the dew point of the insulated
not-so-well-vented air under it.
8.  I have some other wacky prevention ideas involving
"active-devices" too, but they could cause other problems, so I won't
mention them.  ;-)  Try the simple things first!

let us know how it all works out!

best of luck!
Jim Burkhard
CORSA

Arjay Morgan wrote:
> This may be a Florida-only problem, but someone on the list may have a solution.
>
>   Our 64 Monza convertable has begun to grow black mold on the tops of both the front and rear seat backs.
 >It's now the rainy season in Florida with average relative
humidities in the 80% range. The car lives with its
 >top down, under a breathable car cover, inside a well ventilated
carport.