<VV> Young members

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Wed Aug 9 22:26:00 EDT 2006

> ------------------------------
> Im sorry you all know me by now I have to put my 2 cents in. I have to laugh at the email that was sent out
> My husband is 30 and I am 26. We are young...
>
> I would like to say if you expect/want "younger" groups of people to join the Corvair groups then people need to be more open to what they want to bring to the table.

<snip>

> We are seeling ALL of our Corvair stuff, parts, motors and even the car.
> That's my vent.
>
> Sincerly
>
> Young Corvair Owner

Umm, I think I agree with you but it's kind of hard to tell what exactly your point is with all the incoherant rambling about electirc fans and all.

If your point was that CORSA should'nt limit itself to 15-24 year olds as being "youth", then I agree.  Relative to the typical age of the CORSA Corvair owner probably up to 35, maybe even 40, is "youthfull".  Encouraging very young people to appreciate Corvairs and participate in CORSA activities is important to the long term survival of CORSA as an organization and Corvairs as a hobby.  But we also needs to attract the moderately youthfull crowd too for more short term survival.  They have more income than the "kids" but then again the "kids" are probably less carefull with the money they have and will more likely "waste" it on a goofy old car.  The real key is to get people who don't know about Corvairs interested in them (and CORSA and the local clubs) somehow.   A page on MySpace will provide a connection to young people who are already aware of the Corvair but I think we need more.  What we need is a good public relations team!!

But you know "Young Corvair Owner ", relative to the general culture, CORSA's right, 24 is pretty much the cutoff for youth.  Face it, at 26 and 30 you guys approaching the peak of the hill and then, you're over it.  Oh well, it happens to all of us eventually.  Enjoy the ride down the other side.  It's a doozy.

BTW, what's wrong with "thinking like an engineer" anyway.  The youth are supposed to be skeptical and not just take someone's word for something.  Putting an electric fan on and saying it works just because the car doesn't instantly burst into flames doesn't mean it's working RIGHT.  These cars have survived over 40 years thanks to engineers and people who think like them.  We'd hate to see them start dying now because some people want to believe a major change to the cooling system is OK just because someone says it is.

Oh, and good luck with that whole communicating in English thing....

Old Man Mikey
Stay off my lawn you kids!!!