<VV> Electric Fans

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Aug 10 11:05:21 EDT 2006

>  And if they're put off by that then my "scam alert" warning goes
> off.  I'm not saying it IS a scam, just that their not wanting to provide
> data and not supporting us getting data on our own as, at best,
> unprofessional.

While I agree with this viewpoint, at the same time I am a proponent of
electric fans. 40 years on just about all cooling today is done with
electric fans and the size/form factor needed is now available.

Advantage: An electric fan is "on demand". When not needed it is not
drawing any power. When it is (such as at a stop light after coming off an
interstate when the blower is at minimum speed). The other advantage is
that when peak power is needed (passing), the power is drawn from the
stored power in the battery rather than the engine.

Disadvantage: The peak flow is probably not as high.

I suspect that the best answer would be a combo: perhaps a much smaller
pulley to slow down/ reduce the HP of the stock fan at speed and an
electric "auxiliary" to make up the difference at high load and when idling.

Would like to know what happened in the test but is not necessarily an
either/or decision, a hybrid answer has advantages also.

Now just for a nut thought, an a/c clutch can handle 10 hp but would add
rotational mass.

Padgett