<VV> Electric Fan - I Don't Understand

aeroned at aol.com aeroned at aol.com
Thu Aug 10 15:55:05 EDT 2006

mike said:
<SNIP>
The cooling methods and requirements are quite different.
<SNIP>

The requirement actually may be very similar in terms of airflow required. However, a radiator offers very little restriction to the airflow produced by the fan when compared to the engine and oil cooler of our Corvairs. So, any electric fan candidate must be capable enough, (powerful enough motor and efficient enough fan) to provide the same airflow though the more restrictive Corvair system. If the electric setup is not capable of doing this, the fan will just stall, churn up the air with very little movement, and therefore very little cooling.

Additionally, the stock Corvair fan setup delivers the air where it is needed most, the heads. If you were to put a similar electric fan from a water pumper (axial fan), the air is delivered straight through the fan. Additional ducting or deflectors would be required to get the air out to the heads. Changing the direction of the air costs speed in the air, so now you need an even more powerful motor.

As a professional airhead, I've though about several ways to improve the power required to cool the Corvair engine. The best of these configurations either require modification/redesign of the existing shrouds or redesigning the fan. I believe that these designs are not as robust or cost effective as the original design. However, if you write me a big enough check and we test them on YOUR engine, I'd be willing to share...

Ned