<VV> Fans of electric

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Aug 10 16:46:05 EDT 2006

>  The simple fact of life is that no fan can develop enough pressure to
> shove the required mass flow through the engine and there are no magic
> unknowns that can make it otherwise.

Well, I am not so sure of that. Certainly we have come a long way in
conductive coatings and design since 1965. Also the Corvair was designed to
operate with crude baffles, a lot of flashing, and poor maintenance (late
60s were the first to get 50,000 mile powertrain warrenties).

On the other hand an air cooled engine is going to have hotspots that its
water cooled cousin will not. The SAE tests show the region where the
thermocouple mounts runs 100F hotter than the area around the spark plug.
This is not good but I suspect that better air flow management would help.
A water cooled engine may run hotter on the average but would not have the
extremes an air cooled engine sees.

Another factor is that the Corvair air flow is optimised to a certain
extent to provide heat for the passenger compartment. Nothing wrong with
that, just a fact. That is way the air flow control is on the output

Finally the alternators available to the corvair and the total power
capability was restricted by concerns about the fan belt. I suspect this is
why every other GM car with AC got at least a 55 amp alternator. The issue
is that there is not as much power left over as there would be with a
modern 100+ amp alternator that uses a serpentine belt. If someone wanted
to be creative, replacing the alternator with an idler and driving a
relocated alternator with an a/c fan belt would be a possibility. OTOH I
have heard of an 80 amp alternator being used with success.

Now if you really want to go far out, the way to get max HP and minimal fan
drag when not needed is to choke down the inlet. No need to worry about
overspeed as you might with a turbo since it is locked to engine speed but
with a choked inlet the power required to turn the fan drops. I suspect
this was not considered because the Corvair was inexpensive and it would
have affected the heater quite a bit unless other ($$) arrangements were made.

All of this would be wonderful for a back yard mechanic to tinker with but
my life is just too full for the foreseeable future though I would love to
see a redesign on the shroud to go with digital EFI and a computer
controlled fan inlet. Would be great fun but I have had the new fan bearing
assembly and carbs and 95 hp heads all waiting their turn for over a month
now....

Padgett