<VV> Fans of electric

James Davis jld at wk.net
Fri Aug 11 10:05:22 EDT 2006

The Corvair cooling system was designed with no consideration of a
fresh air heater.  The 60's had the same air flow pattern through the
engine and exhausting out the rear but no air heat only gasoline heater.
The Corvair belt system will drive an 80 amp alternator with no
problems except accelerated belt wear.  Many Ultra Vans out there
prove that every day.
Jim Davis

At 03:46 PM 8/10/2006, Padgett wrote:
<snip>
>Another factor is that the Corvair air flow is optimised to a
>certain extent to provide heat for the passenger compartment.
>Nothing wrong with that, just a fact. That is way the air flow
>control is on the output
>
>Finally the alternators available to the corvair and the total power
>capability was restricted by concerns about the fan belt. I suspect
>this is why every other GM car with AC got at least a 55 amp
>alternator. The issue is that there is not as much power left over
>as there would be with a modern 100+ amp alternator that uses a
>serpentine belt. If someone wanted to be creative, replacing the
>alternator with an idler and driving a relocated alternator with an
>a/c fan belt would be a possibility. OTOH I have heard of an 80 amp
>alternator being used with success.

<snip>