<VV> A shocking story

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sat Aug 12 18:52:48 EDT 2006

I've spent hours trying to get the front shocks off my rusty 1965 Monza.  I
grab the tiny flat at the top of the shock with a Vice Grip and back the nut
off until it hits the Vice Grip.  That is the end of the progress as you
can't keep the shaft from turning.  I've tried a nut buster with poor
results as it just mushes everything up ensuring you will never unscrew the
nut.  Finally in desperation I grabbed my 8" disc grinder and ground the
rubber bushing, steel washer and the nut off until the shock could drop out.
Funny how installing the new shocks only takes minutes!
What trick do you guys use to get the top nut off?  I avoided my usual "cut
it off with a torch"
routine as the brake line and gas tank are dangerously close to the action!
Clark Hartzel