<VV> A shocking story

Vairtec at optonline.net Vairtec at optonline.net
Sat Aug 12 22:00:44 EDT 2006

At 06:52 PM 8/12/06, Clark Hartzel wrote:

>I've spent hours trying to get the front shocks off my rusty 1965 Monza.  I
>grab the tiny flat at the top of the shock with a Vice Grip and back the nut
>off until it hits the Vice Grip.  That is the end of the progress as you
>can't keep the shaft from turning.  I've tried a nut buster with poor
>results as it just mushes everything up ensuring you will never unscrew the
>nut.  Finally in desperation I grabbed my 8" disc grinder and ground the
>rubber bushing, steel washer and the nut off until the shock could drop out.
>Funny how installing the new shocks only takes minutes!
>What trick do you guys use to get the top nut off?  I avoided my usual "cut
>it off with a torch"
>routine as the brake line and gas tank are dangerously close to the action!

Clark, I've had 100% success in these situations (knock wood) by, when
reaching the point where the nut contacts the vice-grips, simply moving the
vice-grips from the top of the shock to somewhere on the shaft.  This of
course assumes that I do not wish to re-use the shock.  If I with to
re-install the shock then I start out with the right tool, the little one
that fits that "tiny flat at the top of the shock."

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net