<VV> drive wheels (No Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Aug 14 13:49:41 EDT 2006

At 09:35 hours 08/13/2006, LonzoVair at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/14/2006 12:26:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>AeroNed at aol.com writes:
>
>The 2006  Chevy Impala SS has a V-8 option and it's FWD...
>

>Hey Ned (and others),
>I just read in a magazine (maybe Motor Trend? It's the one where they had
>Kowalski from the Original "Vanishing Point" movie interviewed and
>then he drove
>  a prototype Challenger) that GM will be making Pontiac a strictly RWD car
>all up  and down the line, no FWD Pontiacs will exist by 2009 or
>2010... Chevy
>will also  be making a large sedan, RWD, along with the Camaro & 'vette...
>maybe a few  others...

Looks like somebody finally listened to what Lutz had to tell them.

>I was in the Dr's office when I read it, and I've also slept since  then...
>I think the same page mentioned how Ford was going in the opposite
>direction...
>Oh well...

If Ford has an y brains, they will leave their "big" cars alone and
keep working that FWD thing for the rice crowd and the econobox
fans.   But their flagship car (Mustang) and the Crown Vic series
should stay RWD if for no reason than to keep that fleet
market.    GM lost it (as did Chrysler) when they abandoned the RWD
platforms which usually meant that the V8 engines also fell by the
wayside, hence an Impala which was available for the first time ONLY
with a 6 cylinder engine...

"This ain't yer father's Impala."     Sure as Hell wasn't...

Now they've crammed a V8 into the Impala so as to try and grab up
some of that lost market they had before.    I'd wager they would
sell more if the car was RWD as well, which it may well be, before
it's all over.

Ma Mopar has been taking steps with RWD muscle with the LX platform
cars (300, "charger", and Challenger) although due to the incessant
meddling of  beancounters, (and marketing guru-moron Trevor Creed) it
seems that 4-doors were gonna be the "wave of the future" according
to Chrysler as well as other US car makers.

Thus, import coupes sold like smoothies at a Barbie convention while
domestic makes tanked.

Now, here come the coupes again, as well as RWD, and nobody has heard
much outta Trevor at Chrysler...  however, there's been some serious
rethunk done lately.

>Good luck!

Yep...  ;)

tony..