<VV> Hello Help

McNair, Tim tim.mcnair at norfolk.gov
Mon Aug 14 11:27:55 EDT 2006

Question for you,,

Hi My name is Tim,,, I purchased my first 1966 Corvair Monza 110 4 speed
this February,, I had a piston explode in the car one week of driving
later,,,, the Corvair had sat for 10+ years in a barn,,, well long story
short with help from ebay and clarks I had the motor completely
rebuilt,,,.20 over bore Kieth black Pistons Chrome rings,, 140 heads
four carbs,,,
lastly it was running fine for one month,,,, I had installed the
pertronix ingnitor I with the flame thrower two coil and new 8mm wires,,
all was fine,,,
while cleaning the engine bay car running,, I sprayed some carb cleaning
(fogger) in to the intake  engine slowed as more fogger added,,,
(normal I have done this on all my V8 GM cars),, well once the Corvair
was loaded up it choked,, again nothing exciting,, I thought I had
flooded it,,,
Well I tried and tried to restart it,,, it wouldn't,, I removed and
cleaned plugs,, and then "tested" a spark plug wire for fire,,, no
spark,,,,

Did I kill the Pertonix ignitor I ,??, are these that sensitive to
grounding problems, ?? ,, I have ordered another Pertronix Ignitor but
am getting the II not the I,,, ,,,,,,,
the car already had a "jumper" wire off the Body Harness before the
connection to the engine harness,,,,,,, So I had used that to connect
the pertonix ignitor I,,,,, should I take a separate or different wire
and come off the Alternator for the 12 V ??     and disconnect the first
Jumper wire ???

This has been a fun little car to drive,, and get to know,, but there
are a lot of things that don't apply that I have use on all My GM
cars,,, currently I have a 1977 Pontiac CAN AM,,, 400  1979 Z28 5.7 1981
Corvette 4 speed 1988 Super Sport 5.7 1988 Z24 ,
I have fogged all these cars with "seafoam"  spray it cleans the intake
and decarbonates the entire system,,,, will smoke for a minute or two
then idle will be smooth and throttle response quicker,,,,

the Corvair I did this to after 1000 miles on break in of the rebuilt
motor,,,, as thinking that new chrome rings take awhile to "seat' and so
Oil residue would have carbonized to the inside cylinder and plugs,,

Well it's clean now but won't start,,,  lol,, I guess I blew that one,,,

Thanks