<VV> Stuck rings cure

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Mon Aug 14 14:50:34 EDT 2006

Marvel Mystery Oil is my favorite.  Generous amount added to each plug
hole.  Agitate by hand frequently or spin with starter.

Jim Duane
180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Bryan Blackwell
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 2:37 PM
To: Virtual Vairs
Subject: <VV> Stuck rings cure

Hi folks,

So, we got the "basement fresh" 110 in the '66 and fired it up this
weekend.  Good news is it runs and doesn't leak, no smoke out the
exhaust, no really bad noise (just the expected hasn't-run-in-ten-years
valve clatter).  Bad news is it has blow-by like you wouldn't believe.
Thing looks like an Industrial Revolution era factory on overtime.
Now, this engine was purported to be a fairly low milage unit, stored
inside since coming out of the car.  It's possible that's not the case,
but this guy did a careful job of tagging and bagging everything, I
find it hard to believe it's not true.

So, that leads me to think maybe one or more rings is just stuck and
needs a little help.  What secret sauce is your favorite for this sort
of thing?  So far all I've done is add some Rislone to the oil and run
it for about 20 minutes, which didn't appear to help.

BTW, all I'm trying for here is to have it not make a big mess and be
able to cruise around a little.  Whatever happens, there's almost zero
chance of me tearing it down and rebuilding it.
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa

are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org