<VV> drive wheels

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Mon Aug 14 17:24:26 EDT 2006

The whole problem with FWD as far as I'm concerned is that people praise
it for the wrong reasons. If the norm had been REAR ENGINE, FRONT DRIVE
then everyone would be well aware of just how really bad an idea that
driving the front wheels happens to be. The reason people praise front
drive is really because of the weight being over the drive wheels, and
NOT that it's driving the front wheels. The average joe is oblivious to
the difference -  all he knows is that the modern front driver is far
better in NOT getting stuck in the snow than his old "feather-fanny'd"
Chevy II or Gremlin. Those used to get stuck on a flat sheet of ice (I
even had a '71 Buick Estate Wagon that was just as bad.) They don't stop
to think that once a front driver breaks traction (which is often more
easy to do than you realize) they've also lost all steering control.
With a rear driver, you'd have at least SOME semblence of steering
control. Might make the difference between missing a bridge abutment and
hitting it.

-Mark