<VV> drive wheels

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Aug 14 17:39:20 EDT 2006

I agree with what you wrote... to a point... so I'll explain my thoughts
a little further in case I'm being accused
of "praising it for the wrong reason".

I absolutely agree that when you completely lose front traction, you
also lose steering. But thanks to physics, that doesn't
occur until quite a bit further up the speed scale. A front engine,
front wheel drive car has a lot of weight over the front end
helping that traction out. If an errant driver realizes that he is going
too fast for conditions, he can let off the throttle and/or apply the
brakes.

The resulting weight transfer (and engine braking) most usually returns
steering, allowing the driver to steer around "conditions".  Front
engine/real wheel drive is almost as forgiving (minus the positive
effects of engine braking which are applying to the end of the car
without the weight)

We all know what happens when you let off the throttle or apply the
brakes when a rear engine rear wheel drive car is near the edge of traction.
A Corvair is among the most forgiving of all such vehicles, but it will
bite you.

Now put a skilled driver under the wheel of any of these, and the rear
engine rear wheel drive and front engine rear wheel drive will negotiate
just about anything quicker than a front engine front wheel drive... but
that's not the average driver out there. Most folks are better off with
a front wheel drive...

When traction is very low (say on glare ice) front wheel drive is
superior to the other choices. A Corvair will easily out accelerate a
Honda on ice, but won't turn as well... at least not up to past a driver
that's far more skilled than me.

Bill