<VV> drive wheels

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Mon Aug 14 17:39:48 EDT 2006

I'm owned all configurations rear engine, front drive (wouldn't that be
a trip!) and driven them in all kinds of weather conditions including
ice and heavy snow.  I have a couple of things to add to Mark's
comments:

1. A Corvair understeers badly in heavy snow due to lack of weight on
the front tires.  The throttle can correct that problem, but it takes a
bit of something to get on the throttle when there is a solid object in
the path of your understeering car.

2. The rear end of a RWD car will tend to step out if you
unintentionally (or intentionally as above) cause the rear wheels to
spin.  The FWD will lose steering control, but will tend to keep going
forward.

Having said that, I prefer a RWD car for any kind of performance
driving.

Dave Keillor