<VV> drive wheels

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Aug 14 18:07:19 EDT 2006

>I also have to disagree with Bill that "when you completely lose front
>traction, you also lose steering. But thanks to physics, that doesn't
>occur until quite a bit further up the speed scale." I totally lost
>directional ability in a Citation X-11 once just pulling away from a
>stop sign on engine torque alone! The car went straight, towards
>oncoming traffic, but at the last moment gained enough traction to shoot
>off towards the proper lane.

Very few people lose traction accelerating and find themselves in a
dangerous situation. It's much more critical to retain traction
when slowing or coming to a stop, so my comments were based on that sort
of situation.

If you cannot keep traction when slowly accelerating from a stop, then
you have the wrong tires for the situation and it really
wouldn't make much of a difference what the drivetrain design was.

Bill