<VV>Tire "aging"

Bill Meglen tirediron at charter.net
Tue Aug 15 00:29:29 EDT 2006

> Almost is relative. Are they almost new, as in 200 miles, but 10 years
> old... or 2500 miles but 6 months old. I'm sure you're aware that tire
> compounds get harder as they get older.
>
> How's the car ride now? Thump, thump, thump?

Changing the thread from the quote above.  Seeking advice on low
mileage, but aged (over 10 years) radial tires.

I suspect that my 63 Monza Spyder Convertible  was restored, sold at
auction, then garaged perhaps for as long as 12 years.  Tread shows
little wear, side-walls (white), not cracked drive is smooth (i.e. no
thump, thump...).

The car is "cruised", a little, no performance driving.

Is safety compromised by their age? ...do they need replacement? Is
tire failure likely to be catastrophic from aged tires?

Bill