<VV>Tire "aging"

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 15 00:48:03 EDT 2006

According to all the experts I have canvassed, tires do age to the point of
being dangerous. I had brand new (less than 1000 miles) Michelin tires on my
RV, but they were 15years old. The rig had always been garaged, so there was
no weather checking. I didn't want to have to cough up $800 for 6 new tires
if I didn't have to.
The consensus was that anything over 10 years old is suspect for use on an
RV. This might be a good reference point for deciding what the "aged" life
is for car tires. I'm now $800 poorer.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone