<VV> EM 8 Track Possibilities

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Aug 15 13:28:01 EDT 2006

Corrections to Seth's comments. The 8-track tape player did indeed come
out in '67, but you could have it either dealer OR factory installed. My
buddy and I have come across three (one of each body style, BTW) over
the years, that were factory systems. Duely noted on the body tag codes.

It could be ordered or installed on ANY Corvair, with or without a
radio. And it only tied into the radio IF you also had the multiplex,
which was always dealer installed. Both used the same 4-speaker stereo
system.  Otherwise, all radios were mono, with or without the tape
player. If you had the whole setup, there was an "a/b" switch that was
also added, as the stereo speaker system AND power feed were switched
between the radio/multiplex and the tape player.

It was dropped from the Corvair option list after two years. The
multiplex option for the Corvair was also dropped at the same time,
because GM changed ALL multiplex units and ALL radios in '69 (except the
Corvair radio) from a 12-pin to a 9-pin connector.

-Mark