<VV> EM 8 Track Possibilities

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 13:47:51 EDT 2006

> Otherwise, all radios were mono, with or without the tape
> player.

Heres a picture (not the best) from the front of the 1967 Corvair
accessories catalogue, showing the whole schmear...

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B8275.jpg

FM Stereo is always dealer installed, as Mark points out- on full size
Chevrolet etc FM stereo equipment is integrated into the factopry installed
tape player when factory ordered in a car with factory FM stereo, I imagine
you could have dealer installed the integrated unit but this doesnt seem to
have been done for Corvair, which just stacked a bunch of gear
underdash...with the a/b switch Mark mentioned.

When a radio is ordered with Stereo Tape, the front middle speaker is still
installed, giving FIVE speakers. The dash center speaker is only operational
during radio operation, not for the tape player. The right rear speaker is
also used for radio operation if a fader is installed.

Having had a couple cars with the tape player, its not a bad unit. It sounds
pretty good considering the bulb in the radio dial probably uses more power
than the amplifier. I had a cmplete power failure in my 1968 Monza about
1987 in a stereo tape equipped car slowing on a very cold (-35) winter
morning for a traffic light at 6 am in the dark- as the car slowed down, and
the charge rate dropped, with heater, high beams and everything else on the
tape player picked its moment to switch tracks and the draw from the tape
head solenoid pushed the load over the edge and blew the fusible link,
leaving me stone dead without electric power at the intersection. Its a
pretty hefty unit, I think I weighed mine at about 14 lbs.

I wouldnt consider owning a 1967-'68 car without this option, its just too
cool.
Brent Covey
Vancouver BC