<VV> Corvair vs. Modern

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 15 17:52:50 EDT 2006

For those who have been frustrated with Corvair repairs
I am sad to report that I just spent about 3 hours getting
the distributor out of my 95 Impala SS. It required removing
the belt, water pump, air pump, etc. And then required the
purchase of two special tools - one to remove the distributor
from the engine (E4 reverse torx thin long reach socket) and
one (T8 torx socket) to remove the rotor from the
distributor. I discovered the water pump was leaking, and
since it is directly above the distributor (optispark) it was
causing it to miss. Even with my friendly private parts store
discount it has set me back over $200 for the two parts
(over $400 retail).
The only good news is that there is over a foot of empty
space in engine compartment in which to work :-).
Grant