<VV> Tire Dates / Life / Age etc...

Eric Prosise eprosise at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 19:13:06 EDT 2006

Maybe I should start by saying that my previous job was a Quality Engineer
for a major Agricultural Tire company, that also produced passenger tires at
other factories....I figure I may weigh in on the tire age / date code
issues.
DOT requirements for passenger tires state that the tire must have 4 digits
which will allow the tire to be traced back to the week of manufacture.  I
think passenger tires may actually have gone to 5 digits to allow for the
day of the week (1-7), so basically, 10101 would be a tire produced on the
first day of the first week (full week) of 2001.

I dont really want to bore everyone with what age and conditions can do to
tires.  There are so many variables....it would take forever.  I have over
70,000 miles on my current set of Goodyears on my truck (a 55k mile tire),
and they look sad.  They still have tread left, but the ozone checking is
getting to the point that the tires may not last much longer.  Older tires
usually have flat spots bias or radial, hardening of the shoulders of the
tire, cupping if left under inflated, sidewall separations of within the
plies of the tire, cords can become brittle (nylon / polyester), the white
sidewall rubber and black sidewall rubber can develop separations between
the two (which happened on an original tire from my '64 Greenbrier, peeled
the white sidewall right out)....  I check date codes when I buy tires, new
or used, and I also inspect tires that I have put on my vehicles.  Most tire
repairs, the untrained eye will not catch, and most will have no impact (its
amazing how little NHTSA allows you to repair), but I would rather have a
pristine tire for the price I pay.  I can also tell you that Firestone,
Goodyear, and Michelin tires all age differently, and some hold up to
certain things better then others.

I dont know if I really added anything to the discussion, but hopefully
provided something to think about...

Eric
'66 and '63 Monza, new tires on both, and a "couple" extra sets laying
around.