<VV> removing sending unit.

Paul Abel pbob63 at frontiernet.net
Tue Aug 15 21:51:08 EDT 2006

Does someone have a method of removing the gas tank sending unit without
use of the special removal tool. I have the tank drained. I've tried
using screwdrivers, but no success yet. I am doing this on the car.

Once the unit is out, what would be a good way to clean the tank the
best as possible. A stick with a rag on it? And how should I clean the
sending unit? I have a new strainer and float.

Car died on initial test run. Carbs not getting fuel. I blew out all the
lines from the tank back, including inline filter. Still no flow. Took
about 3 hours to drain the tank. (about 5.5 gallons of gas)  I'm
guessing the screen is clogged with crap in the tank. Tank was new in
'89 before car was parked.  It  had been running fine in the garage, but
after driving it just under a mile,
 she  quit.

Anyhow, how do I get the sender out?

Thanks!