<VV> Gas Tanks

Steve Oxford seoxford at att.net
Wed Aug 16 14:18:46 EDT 2006

Used gas tanks for our Corvairs - excepting the one wierd hole-through-the-tank FC tank - are reasonably priced and readily available...new tanks are around $170, which many seem to think is an outrageous price.

I'm having to replace the gas tank on my '92 Blazer today - >$600 for new, $500 for used!  GM, in their infinite wisdom has put a rubberized blanket around the tanks, which allows moisture to accumulate and basically rot the tank - mine has spider cracks that we only noticed because it started to drip gasoline this week.  One good whack with a rock on the skid plate and the entire tank could have disintegrated - not a pretty thought.

So...$750 later I'll be back in business...makes changing out a Corvair tank seem like chump change in comparison!

Steve Oxford/'63 conv (w/used and sealed gas tank)