<VV>Nice thing about Corvairs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Aug 16 18:00:59 EDT 2006

At 09:18 hours 08/16/2006, Padgett wrote:

>> >Last week, my coworker was driving his 1970 Hemi R/T convertible home
>
>Is like how I advise people how to tell the difference between a #1
>and #2 level car on the street: you won't see a #1 on the street.

This kinda reflects the comment I heard one guy make at a show, as
regards his Hemi powered '70 Charger Daytona... that if he drive it
around the block it would cost him 1000 bucks worth of resale value.

Hell, what's the fun in even owning a car like that if you're afraid
to drive the think anywhere except on and off a trailer?

>A number of years ago I read in C&D about one of the editors placing
>his 427 Cobra in a museum because it was simply too valuable to
>drive and that is sad in a way.

It's sad in *any* account.

I still like the guys in England who own 250 GTOs and birdcage
Maseratis worth millions but will still break them out of the museums
and RACE them full-tilt at Goodwood etc. with the philosophy that the
cars were built for only one purpose, and that was to be raced, and
anything else is a waste of their sheet metal.

>  Do know that the above car in BJ condition is seven figures now.
> Even in Joe Dirt condition it would be valuable.
>
>Am getting to feel that way a bit about the Judge but the real
>reason it is not driven much is 11 mpg of 93+.

That gas cost figure is entirely relative.   If it cost you ten to
twenty bucks more per weekend in order to tool around in the
musclecar vs a minivan, I'd pick the musclecar any day.    By the
way, keep your foot out of it and you *can* run regular in the
GTO.    I ran regular in my 426 Satellite and got away with it,
albeit with some pinging now and again, but nothing serious.    I'll
likely run regular in the Satellite I recently acquired as well, 10-1
compression or not...  whenever I can manage to get it all together.

tony..