<VV>Tire "aging"

mygroups mygroups at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 16 20:13:40 EDT 2006

Back in '93 I bought a VW Rabbit 'vert (was in Italy) and started
driving it all over. One day (during the heat of the day and
consequently siesta hours) the right rear blew out. We were 20 miles
from home just roaming around. EVERYTHING was closed. Got the never used
spare out of the trunk only to find it was flat... We drove home on that
flat tire the whole way at 10 miles per hour or so. Shredded the tire,
ruined the rim, and a couple weeks later the wheel bearing gave up too.
Check that spare... <griN!> And to think we were "testing" this car into
the low triple digits on the autostrada days earlier. ('84 Rabbit 'vert
would do about 120 mph). New set of steel rims, new Pirelli 500s and we
were travelling up and down the autostrada at 100 mph+ for hrs. per
trip. (at $4.75 per gallon of gas).

I'm alot more picky these days about my car's maintenance and safety
equipment (lighting, tires, suspension, BRAKES!) <griN!>

Chris in Cookeville