<VV> Proper technique for striking a flywheel

David Fasgold dfasgold at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 17:38:44 EDT 2006

I've been trying to figure out the proper way to determine whether a  flywheel is bad, and I want to clarify to make sure I'm doing it right:
  -stand it up on its side
  -hit with a small hammer on the thinner piece of metal near the crank hole

  I heard a ring, but it's not what I expected. I was expecting it to  sound like a tuning fork, but what I heard was a deep, short ring (like  maybe the equivalent of a quarter note in length). (For the smart aleks  out there: I didn't an electronic tuner handy, so I have no idea about  the pitch.) My guess is that the flywheel is okay for now--it may last  a few years or may go bad right after it's put in. The car had 76K  miles when it was last tagged in 1974. The pressure plate and clutch  had "rebuilt" stickers on them, so I guess it's possible that the  flywheel had been replaced at that time. At any rate, I realize it's a  gamble.