<VV> EM tires and braking

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Aug 18 12:43:15 EDT 2006

At 12:18 hours 08/15/2006, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting anything much wider, other than
>as a convenience for sizing.  A 195 works fine on a stock rim,

I might be checking into something like this for the red Lakewood
which is gonna be needing tires.

>so I was thinking a 195 just because I know they're out there.  You
>can get trim rings in 14 or 15 inch, the tough part is the hubcaps.

Now:  If I wanted to keep those factory style trim rings, the ones
supplied on '60s with the cute little black bowties on 'em, I might
have some problems finding them in 14".   Likewise keeping the
hubcaps with Corvair script on 'em, via finding a set of 14" rims out
there with the stamped nubs to hold the hubcaps and rings.   And in
spite of this particular 60 4-door's appearance, I'd still like to
keep its original caps and rings simply because the car still has all
this original stuff after 46 years.

>The main thing you need are *better* tires, not bigger,
>IMHO.  Quality greatly outperforms size when it comes to tires.

...I thought these Goodyears were pretty decent tires,
quality-wise...?    I could go out shopping around for something
else, maybe some exotic 13" somethingorothers with bubblegum rubber,
but it hasn't been that long that I the eternal cheapskate had
coughed up the bucks for the Goodyears.

I *have* dropped the pressure a tad to improve the contact patch.

>In fact, for braking performance a wider tire sometimes doesn't work
>as well as a skinny one - all else being equal - since the contact
>patch is loaded the short way.

Sometimes maybe.  My Spyder stopped pretty well, in fact a good bit
better than what I'd expect out of an early 'Vair, but then again it
had wider tires on it  This was a few years ago when wider tires
could still be found pretty easily in 13" sizes.   Not so easy
anymore.    I'll be looking around a bit to see what's out there,
seeing as how up until just recently I'd not been paying all that
much attention to 13" tire varieties or availability.

tony..