<VV> RE: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 19, Issue 132

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Fri Aug 18 09:38:03 EDT 2006

Like you, I've been there and done that.  I've lost count of the number
times I've had to explain to a customer or a salesman that I can't just hide
a scratch with lacquer.  You wouldn't think it would be necessary to explain
that the finish is transparent and doesn't hide scratches and other flaws.
Some people just can't understand it. Spraying something colored and opaque
is visually much easier to keep track of.  Of course cars are much larger so
getting a pattern laid down, etc. might take a little adjustment.  As you
say, if you get a run or a piece of dirt in it, it can be fixed without
starting all over.  Strip, buff, degrease, etc. doing exactly what I try to
avoid, removing more metal than absolutely necessary.

I guess if it's a fiberglass sousaphone....  And if colored horn gain
popularity...

Steve Marti

You're exactly right Steve, Lacquering a horn is much harder I think.
You have to buff the base metal to a mirror finish, with zero
imperfections, the spray with a clear lacquer. No hiding bad body (dent)
work, or sanding out runs or anything like that. We have to get it right
the first time, or strip it, rebuff it and start from scratch. I wish I
could just fill dents in a sousaphone with bondo. Hey, I guess I could,
but I'd have to paint it Marina Blue or something like that. <ggg>

-Paul-