<VV> TransVair kit for Corvair to the VW Bus/Camper

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat Aug 19 07:47:32 EDT 2006

>The Crown and the Hadley TransVair kit both installed the Corvair
>powertrain, engine and transaxle into the 68-up VW Bus. Crown also sold adapters  that
>allowed the Vair motor to be attached to the VW Transaxle. This is a poor
>install for a bus, gear ratios are all wrong for the Vair motor, but okay in a
>car. The Transvair Bus-kit was an easy to install adaptation. I did one in 1975
>and drove the camper to the Corsa Convention in Seattle. I used a 110 PG
>powertrain out of a 65 crunched 4-door. The Axle was a 3.27 ratio, If I was
>doing it again, I'd pick at least a 3.55, maybe a 3.89 - for the Powerglide. The
>kit was originally complete with everything needed, including a motor  mount.
>I am not sure what Clarks is/was offering. Otto Parts bought out  both Crown
>and Hadley before selling to Clarks, as I recall. - Seth  Emerson

Clarks no longer carries the complete kit, but they carry the critical
pieces (mounts and adapters) and instructions. My Westy is a
110/PG/3.55. Due to the weight, it might be better with a 3.89, but
still readily pulls away from a stock VW Westy, gets better mileage than
a stock VW, and can hold 55mph in Low. With a lighter non-Westy Bus, a
3.55 should be more than sufficient.

Bill