<VV> Mud Dawbers?

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Aug 19 10:18:24 EDT 2006

Most Corvair people confuse the nest of a mud dauber wasp with that
of the Mason bee.  Mason bees plug holes with mud (preferred size is
1/4 inch in diameter).  Mud daubers build organ pipe structures on
the sides of buildings, the inside edges of Rampside doors, and
inside air conditioning housings on Ultra Vans.
Jim Davis.

Mason bee

 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mason bees are named from their habit of making compartments of mud
in their nests, which are made in hollow reeds or holes in wood made
by wood boring insects.

Mud dauber

 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mud daubers are long, slender wasps, the latter two species above
with thread-like waists. The name of this wasp group comes from the
nests that are made by the females, which consist of mud molded into
place by the wasp's <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandible>mandibles.
There are three common species of mud daubers, each with distinctive
coloring: the organ-pipe mud dauber (solid black coloring), the black
and yellow mud dauber, and a stunning metallic-blue mud dauber with blue wings.

The organ-pipe mud dauber, as the name implies, builds nests in the
shape of a cylindrical tube resembling an
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_%28music%29>organ pipe or
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_flute>pan flute. The black and
yellow mud dauber's nest is comprised of a series of cylindrical
cells that are plastered over to form a smooth nest about the size of
a lemon. The metallic-blue mud dauber foregoes building a nest
altogether and simply uses the abandoned nests of the other two species.